Thursday, May 3, 2012

Spicy Homemade Baked Potato Chips






I originally came up with this idea after having these "chips" at a few of my favorite restaurants. The first being, Novrosky's here in my hometown. They call them "Novo Chips" and they are a hit. I got a late start and these turned out more like fries than crispy chips but if they were to have remained in the oven a little longer and had been cut a wee-bit thinner, they would have been right on target. Nevertheless, they were still great! Also, the "real" way restaurants tend to cook them is in a fryer. I choose to keep it a little on the healthier side by baking them. 


Spicy Homemade Baked Potato Chips 


Ingredients: 
3-4 Russet Potatoes (I used organic) 
3 tbs. of Olive Oil or Grape Seed Oil
2 tsp. of Spicy Cajun Seasoning (I used "Slap Ya Mama") 
2 tsp. of Steak Seasoning (I used "Tex Joy Steak Seasoning")


Technical: 
Mandolin (for cutting the potatoes in even slices)
Oven (for baking the chips) 
Baking Cookie Sheet


Time: 
Prepare: 10 minutes
Cook: 20-30 minutes


Instructions: 
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. 


Start by rinsing the potatoes in the sink. (The organic ones tend to have a little more dirt on them sometimes.) Then, using the mandolin, or a very sharp knife, slice the potatoes in thin slices. I did enough to fit on a baking cookie sheet for our family of four. Next, I placed them into a bowl and poured 2-3 tbs. of grape seed oil over them and added the spicy cajun seasoning and mixed them by hand. (If you don't like spicy, you can skip adding the cajun seasoning.) 


Place the potato rounds one by one, single layered, on a cookie sheet. Once completed, add a little steak seasoning (to taste) over the tops of each one. Now, they are ready for the oven. They cook for about 20-30 minutes but make sure to flip them at least once, maybe twice if needed. 


Take them out to cool and enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!







No comments:

Post a Comment